For most people normal amounts of mold are not harmful to their health.  Mold is a natural part of our environment and in normal concentrations, most people have no adverse health effects from mold.  People who have a compromised immune system (ie. respiratory problems, young and elderly people) can be more susceptible to mold related health issues.

Mold can be harmful to anyone’s health when exposed to significant quantities of mold.

The most common allergic reactions to mold are;

  • sneezing
  • runny nose
  • stuffy nose
  • coughing
  • itchy or watery eyes

These symptoms are common to many illnesses and health issues.  If you are concerned you have a mold allergy or have other health concerns, please consult your doctor.

False. There are thousands of species of mold, and most people are only concerned with black mold. The truth is, significant concentrations of a variety of different mold species can be harmful to your health and your home.

The phrase “toxic mold” is technically inaccurate.   There are some species of mold that produce toxins – more accurately mycotoxins, as a byproduct of their metabolic process. As a result, these types of mold are referred to as toxigenic. Stachybotrys (black mold) is the species of mold that most people think of when referring to toxic mold.  Not all species of mold produce mycotoxins.

The simplest answer is … “the amount of mold contaminated material will determine whether or not you need professional mold removal”.  Unfortunately, depending on the root cause reason for the mold, you may not be able to see how small or large the affected area is.  This is particularly true when you see signs of mold on walls, ceilings and baseboards. When in doubt, contact a professional mold remediation company to inspect the area to help you decide how to best solve the problem.

The cost of mold removal will vary depending on the scope of the mold problem.  The factors that affect the cost of a mold removal project are;

  • size and scope of mold contamination
  • work effort required (labour)
  • waste disposal
  • special circumstances (ie. delicate materials such as fine carpentry, any other special handling requests)

The simple answer is no.  In some cases where you have a bit of surface mold,  bleach and many other household cleaning products (even soap and water) can be used to wipe off surface mold.  Unfortunately, if your mold problem is beyond the surface, bleach can help to change the colour of the affected area but will not actually kill the mold.  Bleach is primarily water based and water is a necessary ingredient for mold growth.

If you notice a minor amount of mold, such as in the bathroom, it is usually okay to try to clean it yourself with a household cleaner of your choice.  The extent of the cleaning would equate to wiping down the affected area.  In cases such as these (a little bit of surface mold) mold issues can be easily dealt with.  If you notice the problem is chronic or a simple cleaning doesn’t solve your problem, consider calling a professional to help you decide on the best course of action.

Efflorescence is as a result of water pressure or water seeping through stone/brick causing a white powdery substance to appear.  The white substance is not mold but the natural salts and minerals of the stone/brick.  Depending on the age and condition of the home, it may be wise to investigate maintenance requirements as this can be a leading indicator to a water intrusion problem.

Mold is everywhere and is part of our environment.  The key is to maintain  your living environment so that the amount of mold is kept within normal ranges.  Water issues such as leaks and excessive humidity can create an optimal environment for mold growth causing the amount of mold to be elevated well beyond normal ranges.

No.  When mold is found in a home it is usually a symptom of a water issue (water intrusion or high levels of humidity).  Water issues can occur in both new and old homes.

A clearance test is an air quality test.  This test is used to verify that the mold spore count within an environment is within normal ranges.  These tests are typically performed after a mold remediation project is complete.

After mold remediation is completed, mold.ca will perform a clearance test to verify that the mold removal activities have been successful.  Unfortunately, we cannot control or prevent future water issues and therefore cannot provide a warranty that future mold growth will not occur.  Assuming proper maintenance and management of water issues, there shouldn’t be a mold problem in the future.

No. We will be happy to discuss your mold issue over the phone and provide as much advice as possible however we cannot provide a quote over the phone as your description of the problem will be based on what you can see with the naked eye.   Mold.ca’s inspectors use thermal imaging camera’s, moisture meters and other tools to determine the scope and size of a problem which is needed to provide a quote.  Unfortunately this cannot be done over the phone.

Mold can start growing within 24 -48 hours given the right conditions.

No.  Our trucks are unmarked to protect your privacy.